Genesee County Home Improvement and Urgent Repair Program
Urgent Repair Program
The program was created to fill the need for homeowners with urgent component replacement needs in a quicker timeframe.
What qualifies as an Urgent Repair?
- Roof Replacement (may include gutters and chimney)
- Water (well replacement or municipal water hookup)
- HVAC (furnace Replacement utilizing Helping Neighbors)
- Septic (replacement of failed systems)
How does the Program Work?
- Homeowner applies through GCMPC’s website at gcmpc.org
- If the application is approved, a GCMPC Rehab Inspector will visit the property to assess the situation
- If the Inspector determines that the project can be completed within the parameters of the Program, the project will be bid out to a list of pre-approved Contractors
- Urgent repair applications are given priority over the HIP applications (whole-home repairs)
How does the loan work?
- This is a deferred payment loan – no payments, no interest
- A lien is placed against the property to secure the loan
- This is not a cash loan – GCMPC pays the Contractor directly
- The loan is paid back when the client sells the home / transfers ownership / vacates the property
- Funding for these loans comes from the County’s annual allocation from HUD
Who qualifies and how do you apply?
- Must be the owner / occupier for a year
- Low to moderate income household
- Taxes / mortgage / insurance must be paid current
- Can only participate in HIP or Urgent Repair Program once
Apply at www.GCMPC.org and click on the “Improving Communities/Housing” tab